History of St. Paul's Church
In 1800, there was no Episcopal Church in the thriving community, which not too long since had changed its name from Ashley's Ferry to the more classical-sounding Troy. The arrival of Eliakim Warren and his three sons from Connecticut, and of the Rev. David Butler,who had been sent as a missionary to these distant parts, provided a natural answer to that lack in the establishment of St. Paul's. Trinity Church in New York made a grant of moneys to help the new parish build its home. With Dr. Butler as its first rector, the new church began a long period of growth and influence in the city.
The first building went up in 1804 on the corner of Third and Congress streets. By 1826, the parish had outgrown it and three lots for a larger church were purchased on the corner of Third and State. All too soon, unexpected structural problems appeared, and a fund began for their correction. By the 1890s, things had become alarming, and the building finally underwent a major structural job to restore its strength.
This was the beginning of the brilliant interior in which we worship. It happened that Dr. Enos, rector at that time, had just returned from a glorious holiday touring the Gothic churches of southern Europe. After consulting with a civil engineer, an architect, and a builder, the church fathers were persuaded to engage the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company to design the new interior.
The Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company set to work on the interior of St. Paul's Church removing the gallery seating, reinforcing the columns with steel pillars to support the roof, and embellishing the pews, altar, walls, ceiling, and windows in a distinctive, Sicilian-Gothic design throughout.